Archive for ‘Lundgaard & Tranberg’

June 21, 2011

THE NEW ROYAL PLAYHOUSE | Lundgaard & Tranberg

The new Royal Danish Playhouse is an effective ‘theatre-machine’ that takes form as a pronounced, yet respectful completion of the surrounding city.

The building consists of three compositional elements:

The oak-clad promenade, a public walk floating on thin columns over the water, gives access to the foyer with its panoramic views of the harbour and historic skyline.

The scene building, containing the auditorium and three scenes, echoes the material character of the harbour front with rustic brickwork and copper-clad tower.

The expansive and unifying roof level contains personnel facilities and gives spectacular views in all directions through varying nuances of green glass.

The dark, elongated brick used throughout the building is, like the red chairs of the auditorium, specially designed and developed for playhouse by the office.

Project Facts

  • Address: Sankt Annæ Plads 36, DK-1250 Copenhagen K
  • Acoustics: Gade & Mortensen A/S
  • Area: 21.000 m²
  • Client: Det Kongelige Teater
  • Client Advisor: Moe & Brødsgaard A/S, Erik Møllers Tegnestue
  • Photographer: Jens Lindhe
  • Engineer: COWI A/S
  • Competition: 2002 – 1st prize
  • Contact info: Katrine Thorsen, KATH@kglteater.dk
  • Prizes: The association for preserving the beauty of The Capital City,
    Diploma 2007
    The Danish lighting Award 2008
    RIBA European Award 2008
    The Nordic Lighting Award 2008
    Copenhagen Municipality 2008
    Sustainable Concrete Prize 2009

 

http://www.ltarkitekter.dk/en/projects/7