Archive for ‘Krueck + Sexton Architects’

December 3, 2011

Federal Office Building | Krueck+Sexton Architects

]

Krueck + Sexton Architects have been selected by the GSA Design Excellence Program for the firm’s design of the Federal Office Building in Miramar,  just outside of Miami.  The 375,000 square foot building is designed with three goals in mind: reduce energy, resources and consumption, incorporate high performance buildings materials and systems and harvest renewable energy sources available on the site.  Currently out to bid, the project is scheduled for completion in mid-2014.

The Federal Office Building is designed as two 60′ narrow bars running East to West along the site.  The strategy is to reduce heat gain by orienting the side with the least surface area toward the rising and setting sun.  The bars are six and seven stories and are connected at their midpoints, creating two enclosed exterior courtyards.  The architects have also provided outdoor areas that are comfortably shaded in areas adjacent to the site, such as near the parking garage and service annex.

A curtain-wall system with high performance glass maximizes daylight access while reducing heat gain.  This, in addition to perforated sun screens, provide the building and its inhabitants with shade and daylight when desired.  The building will reduce water use by 95% by using several systems such as rainwater capture, well water, and municipal reclaimed water. Photovoltaics on the roof of the Annex and parking garage will accumulate solar energy.

As part of the building initiatives for sustainable design, the wetlands adjacent to the site will be restored.  These make up the majority of the site and is an effort by the architects to bring back the natural state of the site while also invigorating the native ecosystem and local community through a physical connection of nature.

The design team consists of Atelier ten (environmental), WSP Flack + Kurtz (MEP), Curtis + Rogers (landscape), Miller Legg (civil), Thornton Tomasetti(structural) and Shepphird Associates (envelope engineers).

via Krueck+Sexton Architects

http://www.archdaily.com/185010/federal-office-building-kruecksexton-architects/

February 5, 2011

The Crown Fountain | Krueck + Sexton Architects

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects © Hedrich Blessing

The Crown Fountain in Millennium Park is a gift to the people of  by the Crown family. Located at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Monroe Street, this interactive piece is a poetic meditation on the elemental and sensual qualities of water and light. The world renowned Spanish artist Jaume Plensa was commissioned to create the work.

Architects: Krueck + Sexton Architects
Location: Millennium Park 
Owner’s Representative: U.S. Equities Development
MEP Engineers: Environmental Systems Design
Structural Engineers: Halvorson + Kaye
Water Feature Consultants: Crystal Fountains
Video Art: The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Photographs: Cesar RussWilliam ZbarenHedrich Blessing, Courtesy of Krueck + Sexton Architects, Courtesy of Millennium Park

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects Courtesy of Krueck + Sexton Architects

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects Courtesy of Krueck + Sexton Architects

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects Courtesy of Millennium Park

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects Courtesy of Krueck + Sexton Architects

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects © Hedrich Blessing

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects © Hedrich Blessing

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects Courtesy of Krueck + Sexton Architects

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects © Cesar Russ

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects © William Zbaren

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects © William Zbaren

The Crown Fountain / Krueck + Sexton Architects © Cesar Russ

millennium park plan millennium park plan

section diagram section diagram

section diagram

The piece consists of two 50-foot high translucent towers constructed of glass brick that glow with internal light on all sides. Large LED video screens are positioned behind the opposing faces of the two towers. Water flows over the tower faces and onto a plaza in a thin film. The faces of Chicagoans of all ages and backgrounds appear on the LED screens, the goal being to create a project “inspired by and created for the people, that will open up the souls of the city’s inhabitants by serving as an archive of its people”.

Krueck + Sexton Architects was selected to undertake the overall execution of the project. This included working through the complex technical requirements that the project demanded and the careful coordination of specialty consultants assembled from across the country.

http://www.archdaily.com/109201/the-crown-fountain-krueck-sexton-architects/

August 18, 2010

1100 First Street | Krueck & Sexton Architects

1100 First Street, Wasington DC

Tishman Speyer Properties

Architect of Record: Gensler

With building heights limited to a uniform 130’ throughout the city and allowable floor area to be maximized, the urban design opportunity for 1100 and 1150 First Street is realized in the most advantageous placement of the limited and precious open site area.

The project consists of two distinct buildings placed perpendicularly to First Street, and parallel to each other. This allows both buildings equal frontage on the primary, address side of the site while forming a common plaza courtyard between the opposing long sides.

The two buildings are subtly shaped to create a dynamic plaza and courtyard that allow natural light deep onto the site and into the buildings. Additionally, the proportions of the First Street Facades are improved as their verticality is emphasized. Rather than following the Washington, D.C. office building paradigm of absorbing open site area in an enclosed atrium, 1100 & 1150 First Street acknowledge and improve the immediate neighborhood by creating public space on private property.

Environmentally sustainable design principles are followed throughout, with LEED Gold certification as the projected benchmark.

The concrete structural frame, consisting of a typical 30’ by 30’ bay, is manipulated along the perimeter to allow for the building shape. On the courtyard side, perimeter columns lean in, out, or kink once as they rise.

The precisely folded facades open up to the sky to maximize daylight, and offer an intriguing play of unexpected views and reflections. Visually, once building #2 is completed, the project will have a sense of movement, like two icebergs sliding past, one shaping the other.

The strength of the architectural concept is proven in its ability to guide all aspects of aesthetic and technical development and decision making during all phases of design: selection of materials and systems, articulation of building elements, and the resolution of details at every scale are guided by the overriding concepts of dynamic design, precision, and innovation.

The all glass east and courtyard facades of 1100 & 1150 First Street are made of insulated glazing units with 5/16” thick outer glass. This additional 1/16” thickness over the typically used ¼” glass results in extraordinary flatness, which conveys the precision of a machined aesthetic. Additionally, the sound isolation from the exterior is improved significantly. The selection of Viracon VRE 1-46 for the glass low-emissivity coating was driven by a balancing of glass color, reflectivity and transparency, and thermal performance. The ever changing appearance of the selected glass which oscillates between transparent and reflective enhances the character the dynamically shaped buildings.

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/washington_dc/1100_first_street_office.htm     

read it from Archdaily:

Architects: Krueck & Sexton Architects
Location: Washington, , USA
Client: Tishman Speyer
MEP Engineer: Flack + Kurtz
Structural Engineer: Tadjer Cohen Edelson Associates, Inc.
Project Year: 2009
Project Area: 355,000 sqf
Photographs: Prakash Patel

Krueck + Sexton’s architectural design vision for 1100 First Street re-defines the expectations of the speculative office building in Washington, D.C. Organized as two distinct 350,000 sqf blocks on a 1.7 acre site, the forms of this -clad building pair are subtly manipulated to emphasize verticality and activate a dynamic courtyard at the center of the complex. This space brings natural light deep into the site and identifies the building’s main entry.

In a city known more for stone facades and traditional windows, 1100 First Street is decisively modern in its expression and 21st century in its technology. Glass, the building’s exterior material, is used in two different but related ways: cleanly detailed and folded at the courtyard in a manner that lightens each volume and clearly identifies the main facade, and more deferential and modular at the adjacent streets. The architectural language that results from the precise articulation of surfaces and edges is timeless and enduring.

A high-performance facade, which uses glass in varying directions for careful infiltration and controlled reflection, provides for an open & light-filled building offering daylight and views to over 75% of its occupied areas. Throughout the building’s office spaces, natural light penetrates deep into the plate from the floor to ceiling exterior glazing. All of the glazing units are insulated with a low-e coating, providing superior energy performance.

At the ground floor the lobby is revealed, opening up the building to the scale of the street. Detailed with care and sophistication, the lobby design draws upon the language of the exterior to create a distinctive identity. The first completed building of the pair is certified LEED Gold, achieved through site strategies, water savings and energy efficiency.

http://www.archdaily.com/170459/1100-first-street-krueck-sexton-architects/

August 18, 2010

860-880 Lake Shore Drive refurbishment by Krueck & Sexton

Chicago office Krueck & Sexton have completed the restoration of two apartment towers in Chicago by German-American architect Mies van der Rohe.

Called 860-880 Lake Shore Drive, the 26-storey glass and steel towers were built between 1949 and 1951.

The refurbishment involved re-coating the steel frame facade and cleaning the aluminium windows, as well as adding sand-blasted glass to the lobby.

The surrounding plaza was also rebuilt.

Photos are by William Zbaren. Here’s some more information from Krueck & Sexton:


Krueck & Sexton Restores Mies Classic

860-880 Lake Shore Drive redefined highrise living for post-war generation

Architects Krueck & Sexton recently completed restoring one of legendary Modernist Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s most celebrated commissions: 860-880 Lake Shore Drive in downtown Chicago.

860-880, which was built between 1949 and 1951, consists of two 26-story, exposed steel and glass apartment towers set at right angles on an irregular travertine plaza. Based on ideas and theories Mies had been perfecting since his earliest days as an independent architect in 1920s Berlin, the buildings redefined highrise living for the post-war generation.

“They were the most radical buildings of their time,” said Ron Krueck. “They’re light and delicate and surprisingly sexy. They also prove that – contrary to what many people believe — it’s not so easy to design a glass box.”

860-880, which is both a local and national landmark, is located just north of Chicago’s Loop central business district and steps away from Lake Michigan. Many architects and critics believe 860-880 is the closest Mies ever came to achieving his goal of less is more “skin and bones” architecture. According to the American Institute of Architects’ “Guide to Chicago,” “No other building(s) by Mies had as immediate or strong an impact on his American contemporaries, and the influence of these structures was to pervade much of modern architecture.”

“There’s not a lot to them,” said Mark Sexton. “They’re mainly just steel and glass used in the most efficient way possible. By contrast, buildings today often have layer upon layer of materials.”

In addition to more than half a century of normal wear and tear, the buildings had endured several restoration attempts over the years. The problems included corrosion of the buildings’ exposed steel frame, failure of the lobby glazing system and extensive cracking and discoloration of the travertine plaza.

There were also aesthetic issues. The original frosted glass in the lobby had been replaced in the early 1980s by a laminate system with a translucent interlayer that created an historically inaccurate aquamarine tint. The restoration included recoating the steel frame facade and cleaning the original aluminum windows. In addition, new sandblasted glass in the lobby recreated the soft, velvety glow of the original.

Finally, the plaza was rebuilt, a process that included replacing the original travertine slabs, designing a new drainage system and recreating the original plaza lighting scheme. Krueck & Sexton began work in the summer of 2007 and finished in December of 2009. The total cost of the project was $9 million.

860-880 is the third and largest Mies commission Krueck & Sexton, a firm more noted for its original work, has completed in recent years. The other two – all are in Chicago – are Crown Hall on the campus of the Illinois Institute of Technology and the School of Social Service Administration at the University of Chicago.

“One of the things I’ve learned from restoring these buildings is that, for Mies, there was never a final answer,” said Krueck. “He was always interested in what else could happen, what the other design possibilities might be. What’s fascinating is to watch his thinking evolve over the course of a project. At 860-880, for example, the early sketches show a scalloped exterior with large bay windows. This eventually changes to what is there today. There’s also a continual process of refinement in terms of the massing, the enclosures at the bottom and the way the plazas are laid out.”

Krueck & Sexton Architects was founded by architects Ronald Krueck and Mark Sexton in 1991 and is a multi-disciplinary firm with a varied portfolio. In addition to its innovative Mid-Century restoration and renovation practice, it has completed numerous award-winning civic, commercial and residential projects. The firm’s Spertus Institute Building on Michigan Avenue in Chicago received three AIA awards in 2008, including a Distinguished Building Award. The firm currently is working on a 25 acre expansion of Grant Park in downtown Chicago, the highlight of which will be a new home – also designed by Krueck & Sexton – for the Chicago Children’s Museum.

http://www.dezeen.com/2010/03/02/860-880-lake-shore-drive-refurbishment-by-krueck-sexton/

see the full credits of projects from archadily:

Location: 860-880 Lake Shore Drive, , Illinois, USA
Original Architect: Mies van der Rohe
Original Completion Date: 1951
Restoration Architect: Krueck & Sexton Architects
Restoration Completion Date: 2009
Client: 860-880 Condominium Association
Photos: William Zbaren

Widely recognized as one of the 20th Century’s most iconic residential projects, 860-880 Lake Shore Drive consists of two 26-story rectangular condominium buildings surrounded by an irregular travertine plaza. The steel and glass towers are connected by a covered walkway.In addition to more than half a century of normal wear and tear, the buildings had endured several restoration attempts over the years. The problems included corrosion of the building’s exposed steel frame, failure of the lobby glazing system and extensive cracking and discoloration of the travertine plaza.There were also aesthetic issues. The original frosted glass in the lobby had been replaced in the early 1980s by a laminate system with a translucent interlayer that created an historically inaccurate aquamarine tint.The restoration included recoating the steel frame and cleaning the original aluminum windows. In addition, new sandblasted glass in the lobby recreated the soft, velvety look of the original.Finally, the plaza was rebuilt, a process that included replacing the original travertine slabs, designing a new more or less invisible drainage system and recreating the original plaza lighting scheme.

Designed to take advantage of a 2008 tax credit, the project began in the summer of 2007 and was completed in December of 2009 at a cost of $9 million.

Client / Owner: 860 Lake Shore Drive Trust, Marc Boxerman, Board Member & President
Building Management: 860 Lake Shore Drive Trust, Kayla Ehrlich, Building Manager
Owner’s Representative: Cotter Consulting, Inc., David Krc, Senior Project Manager
Architect & Prime Consultant:  – Mark Sexton (Principal in Charge), Ron Krueck (Design Principal), Tim Tracey (Project Architect).
Preservation Architect: Harboe Architects, P.C., Gunny Harboe (Principal in Charge), Douglas Gilbert (Preservation Project Architect).
Forensic Analysis, Structural Engineering:
– Wiss Janney Elstner Associates, Inc., Arne Johnson (Principal in Charge & Structural Engineer), Michael Scheffler, PE (Senior Consultant), Ken Itle (Forensic Project Architect)
– Wiss Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc., Paul Gaudette (Concrete Quality Control), Joshua Freedland (Paint Forensics), Jason Aspin (Roofing)
Lighting Consultant: Schuler Shook, Jim Baney, IALD, LC
Chicago Landmark Review: City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development, Landmarks Division, Dijana Cuvalo, Director of Permit Review.
General Contractor: Bulley & Andrews, LLC, Paul Hellermann (President), Bruce Wance (Sr. Project Manager)
Painting Subcontractor: National Decorating Service, Inc.
Travertine Supplier / Fabricator: Mariotti Carlo & Figli S.p.A., Italy
Travertine Testing: Corestone S.r.l
Travertine Installer: Cleveland Marble Mosaic Company, Robert Zavagno Jr. (President), Daniel Ulmer (Project Manager)
Waterproofing Sub-Contractor: Allied Waterproofing, Inc., Bill Leonhard
Landscape Contractor, Landscape Maintenance: Kinsella Landscape, Inc., George Kinsella
Material Testing: STS, Raul Dilig

http://www.archdaily.com/54260/mies-van-der-rohe-lake-shore-drive-restoration-kruek/